Best MouthWash for You

Posted by DrSimmons | Filed under

Most non-prescription mouthwashes offer an array of benefits ranging from killing the bacteria that produce plaque and bad breath to strengthening tooth enamel, and improving gum health. For an all-purpose mouthwash that accomplishes all of the above, you may want to consider Colgate Total Daily Repair.

However, if you are looking for a mouthwash with a more specific treatment goal, the following mouthwashes received high reviews from Business Insider and Review.com.

Best Overall – Listerine Cool Mint Antiseptic Mouthwash

Best for Cavity Protection – Colgate Total Daily Repair

Best for Anti-Plaque – ACT Advanced Care

Best for Fresh Breath – Crest Scope Outlast Mouthwash

Best Fluoride – ACT Anticavity Fluoride Rinse Mouthwash

Most Gentle – CloSYS Gentle Mint Mouthwash

Best Natural – Nature’s Answer PerioWash or Uncle Harry’s Natural Miracle Mouthwash

Best for Whitening – Crest 3D White Diamond Strong

Best for Dry Mouth – Biotene Dry Mouth Oral Rinse

Mouthwash use can be traced back more than 4,000 years.  Ancient Chinese and Indian texts discuss using liquids used to sanitize the mouth, though exactly what they  swished remains a mystery. Some Ancient Romans reportedly used urine as an oral disinfectant (preferring, for some reason, Portuguese urine), while many Pre-Columbian Mesoamericans used rinses made of salt water often infused with plant extracts both to cleanse their teeth and to soothe aches and pains in the mouth.

In 1865 Sir Joseph Lister transformed the future of medical care with his discovery of an antiseptic, that was used to cleanse surgical instruments and wounds,  drastically reducing the infections that caused death in patients. Hence, the name of the mouthwash,  “Listerine.”

Mouthwash, however, is no replacement for brushing and flossing.  It is an addition to regular home care.  Mouthwash is uniquely capable of reaching nooks and crannies, which are hard to reach with your toothbrush.  Since your teeth only constitute about 25% of the mouth’s total surface area, mouthwash can help curb bacteria in the remaining 75%.

It’s important to ask your dentist what he recommends for you and your family.

Comments are closed